Wednesday, January 17, 2007

What is WRONG with this town?

3 to 5 inches of snow.

That's all. 3 to 5.

The whole city is paralyzed. All schools are closed. Portland Center Stage cancelled their show. (Apparantly due to fear of being sued if someone smashed their car on on the way to the theatre - shwa?) BOTH my rehearsals were cancelled. Mass hysteria. Cats and Dogs, living together.

I've been needing to get my watch battery replaced for about a week, but too busy to do so. I finally have some free time, so why not? I call Macy's (where it was bought - actually, it was Marshall Field's then, but whatever - who can keep up with these corporate mergers, anyway?) and they tell me "sure, come on down."

Lisa and I take the MAX down to the mall, because god knows Portland folk can't drive in the damn snow. "It's not you I'm worried about, honey - it's the OTHER drivers..." We get there at 4:05 to find that they CLOSED at 4:00 so their "employees can get home safe." Cause clearly, when darkness falls, the snow gathers into a giant snow monster that smashes all cars of Macy's employees still on the road.

The apparant wimpiness of this town aside, why didn't the lady on the phone tell me they were closing early when I called?

Even the damn LIQUOR STORE was closed. Sonofabitch - I needed a drink!

Blockbuster stayed open though, and with a movie due, I had to venture out in the car. It was interesting getting there, because every road that was more than a 2% incline was closed. No plow had been by, so there was glare snow on every road - and they only sanded the intersections. Cause clearly, sand is a scarce resource this close to the pacific ocean coastline.

It hasn't snowed for nearly 15 hours now, but every school I sub at (and that's a lot, folks) has ALREADY cancelled school for tomorrow.

Do I have to stay home til it all melts? Do I get a rent break because of the snow?

I dunno, kids. In Minnesota (or New York) it can snow 3 to 5 inches overnight and you won't even notice the difference in the morning.

What would this town do with 3 feet?

4 Comments:

Blogger Melinite said...

I noticed the difference because I had to drive Adam to work on my day off. Boyfriend STILL hasn't put winter tires on the new Sentra, and with the TC's craptastic record at plowing, him driving to work was pretty much begging for a wreck.

I'll tell you who doesn't notice snow: Madison. Hello, opposite side parking. Goodbye, snow days at school.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Wow, Mel. You demoted him to boyfriend for that?

Damn, girl.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Melinite said...

ON MY DAY OFF, DUDE. On my day off of THREE JOBS.

6:29 AM  
Blogger MB said...

What is this snow you speak of? My memory seems to have faded since arriving here in Hawai'i, but I did some internet research. Snow is the white stuff, right? Looks yummy!

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home