Friday, July 06, 2007

Floundering in the Fountain

Well, last night was a challenge.

You see, we're remounting the production of Romeo & Juliet that I was in last winter. We're doing it in a park, using a fountain as a base for the setting. The fountain, however, needs to be off, both so that we have a chance in hell of being heard, and because a number of our entrances are supposed to be through the area where the water flows. Last night was our final rehearsal before we open the show tonight.

And the fountain was still fucking on.

I did not deal with this well - and on the one hand, I do have a right as a professional to demand that we have at least one rehearsal with the conditions we will actually be performing under. On the other hand, I should just suck it up and be a good example for all the kids in the show. I didn't do that. I was mad, and I let that be known. I shouldn't have done that. I'm sure I'll get a pass from people because of my current emotional state, and I appreciate that. But it's harder to give myself that same pass, you know?

We still have no guarantee that the fountain will be off tonight, though it sounds like our producer has been kicking some ass to make sure it happens. Apparantly the Portland Water Dept. is not particularly organized. If the fountain isn't off tonight, I don't know if I can bring myself to go on. It puts us in an unsafe environment and would basically force us to stand on stage and scream to be heard. I find the whole idea very embarrassing as an actor. It's bad enough we won't really have a chance to work the show the way we'll be doing it (we really have no idea what cue to listen for for entrances, since we've never been able to hear. And fights could be an adventure with the conditions unfamiliar...)

Otherwise, I've just been trying to settle in here at John's. I'm only about half unpacked, and since the packing was a rush job, I really have no idea where a lot of my things are. I've realized I left a few things at Lisa's, some of which are very important, but we spoke last night and semi-arranged for me to pick them up. Lisa seems to be in a pretty good state now, and we even were able to talk about remaining friends, or at least friendly. I think I would like that a lot.

Tomorrow I start work on the workshop of Sometimes a Great Notion at Portland Center Stage, of which there will be a free reading on Thursday at 3 PM, if anyone is interested. Because of this show, I have the option of joining equity, and after the fountain fiasco, I'm seriously considering it. I just need to take a look at all the masses of paperwork to find out what ways it restricts me. I think it will be fun, though some of these people involved are pretty high-powered Portland theatre folk, so I really need to work to impress. Plus, we work 10-6, then I go to R&J performances or As You Like It rehearsals. It's going to be a busy busy week.

Good news on various fronts, though. A friend has potentially offered me a car for a while, another friend has approached me about catsitting from January to July next year... I never knew such great people were around me. Thanks, friends!

I also had a great 2-hour phone conversation last night. So there are some good things going on in my life, too.

Here's some photos from last night's rehearsal. You can find the rest at: http://www.annaliesemoyer.com/rjpreviewsite/index.htm.



3 Comments:

Blogger David Millstone said...

Yah man, that fountain is tough. You have to direct your voice out in the right direction, or else you'll scream yourself hoarse and not be heard. The water will be off, though. Don't worry about that. We had the same worry in rehearsal two years ago and it worked out all right.

I'm sorry to hear about your break up. It hurts. Hurts. No matter who's idea it was. Hang in there, bro.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Melinite said...

Hey, kiddo. Hope all goes well with the show. Hope all is better with your life. Too bad I'm not there to get you drunk and call Tabetha. :) Love you!

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fountain on or off, you're not shouting into a void. You've got friends listening. Speaking of which, it was really good to talk to you the other day. I'm glad to hear you're dealing well and if I was in the hood I'd take you out for six or seven white russians.

Love you, buddy.

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home