Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Alaska or Bust!

The Alaskan adventure began at 6pm Monday evening as I headed out. Many thanks to Mr John Bruner for the help getting the truck ready for the journey. 

Things started uneventfully with clear traffic on a Labor Day evening. It was my first border crossing in a vehicle, and I was surprised at the length of the line. Then I got to the agent...

Agent: Where are you headed?
Me: I'm going to Alaska.
Agent: Why?
Me: I've never been there. I hear its beautiful.
Agent: Do you know anyone there?
Me: No.
Agent: Are you planning to leave anything in Canada?
Me: (Admirably avoiding several possible smart ass responses.) No.
Agent: Do you have any firearms?
Me: No.
Agent: What do you have in the back there?
Me: Just camping stuff.
Agent: Any firearms?
Me: Um, no.
Agent: What do you do for a living?
Me: I run a theatre.
Agent: Ok. Are you looking for work in Canada?
Me: No.
Agent: Do you have any weapons?
Me: No.
Agent: Guns, mace, knives, anything?
Me: Um, no.
Agent: Ok. Pull over into that area and go inside; we need to check your vehicle.

Do I look like a gun nut?

So I park and go inside. I check in with the agent there who asks if I have any weapons. And where Im going. And if I know anyone in Canada. (I say yes, she asks for his name and then WRITES IT DOWN. She did not ask me if Noah has any firearms.) She takes my passport and keys, and tells me to go sit. I do.

I look around.

I'm the only white person in the waiting area.

A few Asians, a few Latinos, a black guy. And me. Then another white guy walks in. Oh, wait, he's with an Asian woman.

I realize two things:

1) Racial profiling must be ok in Canada.
2) Either I look ethnic to Canadians, I'm a random pick, or I said something really wrong in the interview.

My keys and passport come back 15 min later, and I'm on my way. A few things in the cab are shifted. They didn't even unlock the back.

I get to Noah's about 11:30, and go out for drinks with Noah and his lovely lady, Alyssa. There are, apparently, two bars open in Vancouver at midnight on a Monday.

A lovely night ensues. And they have a guest room! Such luxury. I'll be sleeping in the back of the truck for the next two weeks...

I'm on my way!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home