Saturday, March 20, 2010

No frills

Ryanair, you are dead to me.

I forgave you after you stranded me in Sandefjord, Norway overnight six years ago, mostly because it led to one of the most memorable adventures of my life.

But this time you've gone too far.

Ok. It wasn't your fault that my carryon bag broke. The zipper just gave out. That bag was a gift from my ex. So I suppose I can blame it on her.

And I don't mind the not having an assigned seat. We scored exit row, so that was great. And I don't mind (much) you not even offering me a drink of water on the flight. It's just an hour long anyway. I'll live.

But the whole baggage restriction thing is ludicrous. Every other airline allows a carryon AND a personal item. Except you. Every other airline has sensible weight restrictions. 50 lbs for a checked bag, for example. But you limit us to 15 Kg per checked bag. That's only 33 lbs. And then you limit the two carryons to 10 Kg, or 22 lbs. Suddenly our two carryons and one checked bag are ALL overweight. We had to repack right there in the ticket line. I don't mind the embarrassment and all that. But our packing is all confused, dirty laundry mixed with clean, shoes separated between carryon and checked luggage, cats and dogs, living together....

Sorry. It was just a bit overwhelming. We had to pay an extra $45 to check a second bag, that we wouldn't have had to check if no for your silly weight restrictions. Remember, this is ALL the same baggage that Continential brought us over with, and no problems. (Ok, we added ONE package of Hobnobs... And a necklace that Erin bought. But that's ALL.)

And then there was all this ROOM on the plane - plenty of SPACE under the seats where we couldn't stow anything. Why? Everyone else lets us. I didn't realize that storing my laptop under the seat in front of me was a FRILL.

Ok, ok. I'm calm. And the trip into Dublin was fun. And seeing my friend Thierry after five years was amazing, and they made a lovely dinner, and there was all this wine and champagne... I suppose that's why I'm rambling on.

But Ryanair, you're dead to me. Who knew Carol Burnett would predict your existance? The prophetess foresaw exactly this sitation here



Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home