Saturday, June 07, 2008

Too. Hot.

Ok. First, it's fucking hot. HOT. Mid-90's, humid as hell, had a thunderstorm earlier where the rain was actually warm to the touch. (Also had to stop rehearsal for 10 minutes because it was so loud on the tin roof.) I live on the 2nd floor, and there's no air conditioning. It's slimy up here. Yuk.

Second, this is officially the worst cold I have ever had. Ever. I not only have a nasty, awful, breathtakingly painful sore throat, but I have it at the same time as the stuffiness and the coughing. (I usually get those one at a time.) Add in the heat...

Thank heavens for Erin. Today she suggested Ibuprofen, which I had been avoiding because I was worried about it interacting with the Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in the Day/Ny Quil I've been mainlining. She did some research online and assured me that they would be ok to take together. Turns out that Ibuprofen is the magic elixir for this soe throat. It takes it from unbearably, gaspingly painful to swallow to merely annoyingly painful to swallow. Mix with hot tea with honey and lemon (also Erin's suggestion) and it almost makes it a mere ache. Repeat as needed. Which is frequently.

Today was our first full run of the show, off book. We started rehearsing Monday. Today we were offbook. Friday next we open. And you know, we were all there, or mostly there. I'm more comfortable with the lines than even I realized. Not perfect - still need to brush them up, get them as close to exact as possible, but it's to the point now where we know we're gonna make it. I never had any doubts, this being my third time through here. It always amazes me we can do it this fast, but we always do it. The next one still scares me, though. A two person show in just two weeks? It's a killer script, and I can't wait to do it, but sheesh.

By the way - here's the link to the theater: TheaterBarn. You should check out my facebook page for some pictures of the theater, me, the cast, the cast house, etc.

Had a good evening off after the show, with a late call in the morning (noon). Ended up spending a good chunk of time on facebook-chat with Erin. It was just lovely, spending time together that way. For some reason it's different than a phone conversation, more leisurely - more like spending time together in a relaxed manner - like sitting round the living room reading books and working on paperwork together. I don't know if that makes sense. But it was nice.

We had a nice long conversation about being distant (it's been almost a week now) and the challenges and opportunities it gives to us. As hard as it can be, there is an upside, if you look for it. You learn about yourself - learn about your relationship. It gives you a new way to look at things - at your own reactions, at your own strengths and fears. It also forces a different kind of communication, since you lose most if not all of the non-verbals. I can't kiss her or hug her or hold her, so I have to be more articulate, more careful in my speech. I also need to be more...thoughtful in my daily life. We have to work at the closeness that normally seems to come so easily - whether that's frequent text messages throughout the day or taking photos as I go through my day so she can see where I am (yes, the very photos you all can benefit from on my facebook page). It's interesting. To me anyway. Might be really boring to you. Though other members of my cast seem enthralled (some curious, some appalled) by the openness of our relationship. It's a frequent dinner-time conversation. (Lovely cookout on Friday night...)

Also over the last couple nights I've watched the movie "Atonement." A brilliant film, it makes me really want to read the book. But I was really struck at the end by the whole "being kept apart from the one you love and hoping to get together in the end" theme. Guess it came at the right time. And of course the twist ending is breathtakingly sad. I cried, of course. But nobody who knows me would be surprised by that.

OK, I'm off to the shower, in the hopes that it will cool me to the extent that I can sleep.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home