Saturday, October 20, 2007

Why my day sucked, when it really shouldn't have

It started out SUCH a good day.

Still glowing from a lovely date last night, I woke up smiling and happy. And then it all went to hell. Angry emails from exes and close friends do not a happy morning make.

But then it got better. Good rehearsal, some good emails. Talked to a couple good friends.

And then there was the fact Night of the Living Dead, which I opened tonight, was not ready AT ALL from the tech side. I got there early, and watched my interns being run ragged trying to get the set, sound and everything ready to go. They didn't, really. Couldn't. Lots of dropped cues, a few missing props, lots of confused looking interns. And it wasn't their fault - it was the failure of certain adults around them, who shall remain nameless. For now. I just want to protect the interns. How did I get to be a mothering hen to 14 teenagers? And what does that say about my masculinity?

But the end, the kicker, was the car. My lovely free car, donated by a lovely couple who I know through the theatre, which has served me well for these last three months, decided it had had enough. It's either the transmission or the cluch (please, please, please be the clutch!) according to people who seem to know such things. But I don't have a mechanic. Or a clue about cars. Or any friends to help, really, at least that I know of.

It happened, of course, in Beaverton. I think it sensed it was back home (whence it came from). It is now sitting in the parking lot of the Valley Theater, hoping it doesn't get towed before Monday, the earliest I'll have time to deal with it. Anyone know a good, trustworthy mechanic in Beaverton?

Why can't I deal with it til Monday? Well, that would be due to my i nsane schedule. Saturday, I teach from 10-1, have rehearsal for "Fourth Grade Nothing" from 2-5, final dress from 7-9, perform "Night of the Living Dead" at 10 and midnight, come home, sleep. Sunday I have first read of "Tales of Ordinary Madness" at 10, opening of "Fourth Grade Nothing" at 2, and move house in the evening.

And now I'm doing it all on the bus. Oh, joy.

Who said that being self-employed is easy?

But I'm mostly just annoyed because it all harshed my buzz from last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home