Monday, June 16, 2008

Power and Memory Outages

So...it's been a while. Sorry about that. Things get crazy during tech week. Let me try to catch you up on stuff.

Tuesday night New Lebanon lost power.

All of New Lebanon. The whole city. There was a crazy thunderstorm and it must have taken out an electrical substation. It was quite the adventure, coming back to the cast house after rehearsal with no lights. We're also not allowed to burn candles in the house, so...it was something else. Trying to get by on flashlight power alone. My cellphone was dying, so I ended up talking to Erin on the cast house phone downstairs- that brought back some memories from years past, before cell phones worked in this town.

The heat finally broke after that. Thank the heavens.

Thursday night's preview went pretty well, though the audience was small and rather unresponsive, which is not always that helpful when you're doing a broad farce. But the opening on Friday - oh my.

This is the 25th anniversary year for the Theater Barn, and the opening of the show was the opening of the season, so they went all out. Performers and directors from years past were invited to the show, as well as many loyal patrons. It was a full, full house of very friendly types, and the show was smash. They gave Joan, the producer, a standing ovation before the show when she got up to make a pre-pre-show speech. Michael's pre-show speech was hilarious,and the show went brilliantly.

Afterwords there was a party at the barn, lots of food from the local eateries, more wine than was healthy for anyone...then to the cast house for jello shots and pretty much anything else you want. By the time Erin called that night I was pretty well gone. I don't recall much of the conversation - just the bits she related to me later. I apparantly decided to go for a walk as I do many nights, though I was not in any state to do so. I got to the end of our block, turned left on the main road as usual, and then fell in a heap in the grass on the side of the road. It apparantly took me a number of tries to regain my feet, and then guided by Erin I made my way back to the house. Erin talked to me for three hours that night, very little of which I remember. She has the patience of a monk. She got me up to drink water and take Advil before I went off to sleep. The next day she told me I was cute, and was in no way annoyed. Jealous yet?

The next day I was up at 11 because we started rehearsal for the next show "Same Time, Next Year" at noon with a readthrough. Two actor play. Holy shit that's a lot of lines. Especially when you have to be offbook in a week.

Bet you can guess what I spent most of my day off today doing? Yeah. And I think I have most of the first scene down. Of six. Holy monkey. But I also got my laundry done, and was able to talk to Erin for a while. And Barb. And I tried to call some others, but they weren't answering. Sad.

Oh, and my brother had his first Father's Day yesterday. Congrats!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home