Thursday, September 12, 2013

Bears, Glaciers, and Lockable Windows

I slept well and long in the RV lot, and awoke somewhat sweltering. I had the tarp on, and the sun was just beating down on it. Turns out it was a warm day up in the Yukon (though nothing compared to you Portland folk. Yikes.)

It was mostly a driving day for me, though in somewhat of a meandering way. I stopped for a while in Jade City and looked at some pretty jewelry. Stopped in the one city I thought might have a cell tower for lunch, but no such luck. Flirted with an adorably shy waitress, though.

Pressed on through lots of small cities- some really lovely scenery... Working on lines, listening to a new audiobook which was written by someone who knows a LOT about guns...

As I got close to my destination, the small twin towns of Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK, I started seeing amazing things. I saw four brown bears just hanging out on the side of the road. The last two were a mom and cub pair... And then, the amazing views...! This is a glacial region... Just look at that photo...!

I was planning on saying at another RV park in Stewart, but was having trouble finding it, so I stopped at a hotel. Out of curiosity I asked their rates- $100 a night, better than expected. I was debating it, and the woman told me that if I was looking for cheaper, I should cross over into Hyder. She was right. I found the Grandview Inn. $70, tax included. I'm their only guest tonight. It smelled great- the manager was baking cookies in his unit off the office. The owner was a lovely lady named Dee (which was my grandma's name. I'm always partial to that. I knew I liked her...) I asked if there was anyplace open to eat (it was 9pm) and they said no... She told me more about her - she lives in Washington most of the year, but owns the hotel and comes up in the busy season. She's looking forward to getting back to her grandkids...

I tell her about seeing the bears. She says they've had one bothering the hotel lately. In fact, she warns me from leaving any food in the truck. If I hear any noises on outside the room (even on the 2nd floor of the motel) I should bang on the door and NOT go outside. Wow. Different parts of the world.

Still no cell tower, but the hotel has Wifi!

As I was unloading my car, the owner came out with a plate. Two fresh cookies and a sandwich. She said I must be starving so she made this for me.

Oh, and the windows have screens AND lock.

Take that, Chelsea Inn Hotel.


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home