Sunday, September 08, 2013

The first hotel. Plus, work-free theatre!

An inexpensive B&B that has laundry indeed. I arrived at the Arctic Inn ready to shower, launder and nap.

I was greeted by a dog. A small dog, but still, a dog. And you all know how I feel about dogs.

The maid came down and talked to me. Ran my credit card. $50! A steal! Showed me to the room. Helped me get quarters and figure out the laundry. Offered to help me by washing a couple of the blankets in her washer downstairs. She was really nice. And her dog wasn't TOO obnoxious.

So I got the laundry going, (accidentally smashing a full bottle of rum while pulling the blankets out of the truck) and took a shower in the shared bathroom. No shelf to put shampoo and stuff on- awkward. Go to my room, lay down on the bed. 

*Crinkle*
 
Huh?

The mattress is covered in plastic? Weird. Then I noticed stuff. The nightstand was sticky. Some odd stains on the ceiling. Then as I did the laundry, more dogs started showing up. Two. Three. Bigger dogs.

This is not good. Everyone else around seems to actually live there. One guy who says he's the caretaker tells me the reason for the plastic on the mattress is that they had bed bugs a few months ago.

Get me out now.

I gather my laundry, one blanket of which has not been washed yet. I call the proprietor, who is still off site, and he's very cooperative, refunds my money, and I get out.

Off to buy caulk, and I get a tarp, too. No more raining on me!

Then- the theatre! A small company known as Cyrano's Theatre Company was performing 'Miss Witherspoon' by Christopher Durang. (I didn't even realize he wrote anything after I graduated from college....) I arrived close to curtain and was informed the show was sold out. I asked to be put on the waiting list. I was seventh. I was told there would be little hope.

Five minutes later one of the women on the waiting list stormed out in a huff, shouting about how it wasn't fair. Then the SM came in and said there were six seats open. I'm magic.

The show was better than I expected. A couple of excellent actors. I enjoyed myself. I particularly enjoyed the opportunity to attend the theatre without feeling like I was going to work.

And then off to find another hotel.

Yeah. That's gonna need its own entry.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home