Saturday, September 14, 2013

Sleeping, Driving and Laundering

You would think that a day that consisted almost entirely of sleeping, driving and laundry wouldn't have much adventuring.

You'd be wrong.

I woke up about 6am with an intense need for a bathroom. This is the one drawback to Walmart camping- unless it's a 24 hour store (only one has been) or close to a 24 hour something (one was across from a 7-11) you're on your own for calls of nature. Most of the folk are in RVs, so they are covered. My pickup... Not so much.

Most Walmarts are in shopping areas. Well lit at night, not a lot of places to hide. Not that I'm very shy about it- just don't want to upset anyone, especially anyone who can give me a ticket. But when it's dark, you can make do. At 6am the store isn't open yet, but people are milling about and it's light out. I had to walk quite a ways in my yoga pants and flip flops to find a private corner. What tsures!

At 10am I woke up sweating. I'm far enough south now to be getting a taste of the horrible hot weather my Portland peeps are suffering through. Yuk.

Decided to break up the drive just a bit and drive about an hour and a half before stopping for laundry, back in Quesnel, where I spent my first night. 

The ladies at this laundry absolutely saved my opinion of Canadians. They were so much fun. Smiling, laughing, happy. Not a crabby person in the place. I got my clothes in the washer, and went to the bathroom. I was so sweaty I needed to change. In Canada! Who knew?

I come back to find water spraying all over the laundromat. And of course it was MY washer that had sprung the leak. Everyone was running about, but in good spirits, absolutely laughing about it as they cut the water to the washer, cut the power to it, salvaged my clothes, moved them to another washer, mopped the whole place, and replaced a hose. They were so friendly with me. We had a good time.

On my way out of town, windows down to cool the truck, I felt something smack me in the face. Not too hard, but hard enough to notice. After a moment or two I looked down to see a very stunned looking bee in my lap. We were both a bit freaked. I stopped at the next possible location to brush him out of the truck. He must have had a very specific trajectory to pull that off...

After that, drive drive drive. I'm 4 miles from the US border now, back in Walmart camperland, and planning a weekend in Vancouver. Maybe a nice hotel tomorrow with a pool or something. Then Sunday night with Noah, then home.

See you soon!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home