Thursday, March 08, 2018

Movies on the way: The shape of coco and the wonder women of the Justice League.

Any international journey via airplane must start out with a movie review post. Because so many free movies!

Got lucky on the domestic connecting flight with a free showing of Coco and it was just lovely. Knowing in advance that it is an accurate picture of Mexican culture made it all the more meaningful. Be prepared to cry. And see if you can identify Edward James Olmos’s voice. I absolutely did not. Rome won’t watch this movie because skeletons, so I’ll just have to love it as an adult instead of a parent.

The international flight had the most advanced entertainment system I’ve seen on a plane (American Airlines was overall very impressive on the trip out). So many options! I decided to go with Shape of Water first, and was not disappointed. Lovely, lovely film. So glad it won the Oscar. Fun to see Richard Jenkins (the ghost dad from Six Feet Under) in a juicy role, though at times it felt the director had told him to channel Bryan Cranston. It also felt like Michael Shannon was just rehashing Agent Van Alden (Boardwalk Empire). This story was incredibly brave. And I could watch Octavia Spencer in anything.

After that I was pretty tired so figured I’d go for a popcorn film. I started “Justice League.” I managed about a half hour. Ben Affleck was just so bad. Maybe if there were more bits with Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Maybe.

I moved on to Professor Marston and the Wonder Women. I adored this film. It’s so rare that a film approaches poly relationships with such acceptance. The world around them persecuted them, yes, but the film itself did not. And what an interesting section of history! They developed the first lie detector AND invented the Wonder Woman comic. His ideas around gender relations would be forward thinking and revolutionary for TODAY, let alone the 40s. It’s the sort of film you just want to live in.

I had a little time left after this and so little brain on little sleep and very thinky films, that I went back to Justice League. It got a LITTLE better but only because it got less Affleck-centric.

All in all, a good way to pass the very long flight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home